Saturday, July 23, 2011

Does clutter bother you?

We are told in Scripture to lay aside every weight and sin that so easily besets us. I don't know about you, but I struggle for maintaining my focus. It is difficult to make sure that I am always focused on the task at hand. Sometimes, when I need to be working, I find other little projects to work on instead of the main project.

Several years ago, my oldest daughter and I cleaned out our garage. It was just the two of us. We worked hard and it was immaculate. You could have eaten off the garage floor before you parked the car in there. Over time, however, other members of my family would put things in the garage – but not put them in the proper place. Or, we would acquire some new thing – like an easel for chalk art – and it would just get put into the garage. Needless to say, I can no longer parked in the garage. I say this to my shame. I really want to park in there. But to rectify the situation will require some time and effort that I currently am unable to give.

Before his death, Larry Burkett – a wonderful teacher of biblical financial concepts – commented that he could tell the state of a person's finances by how well they kept the interior of their car clean. He reasoned that a person who did not take time to clean out his car would also fail to take time to complete a monthly budget and do proper bookkeeping. These failures would lead to poor financial management. His observation has proven true in the people with whom I have counseled and in my own life throughout the years.

I wonder if the amount of clutter we have in our lives is not a reflection of our spiritual condition. You see, clutter can be more than just material possessions. We allow our lines to be cluttered by activities and distractions that take our focus off of the most important tasks in life. The important tasks would include Bible study, prayer, exercise, playing with the kids, and talking with your wife. As men, we need to be sensitive to the fact that the good often distracts us from the best. At the end of your life, you will realize that spending time with family was far more important than all the other things that you did.

Join me in a fresh commitment to eliminate the clutter in our minds and hearts. And while we're at it, maybe we can go clean the garage as well…

1 comment:

  1. I noticed many years ago that if I wanted a visual on my spiritual life I needed to look no farther than my bedroom. Life has changed since I was married (being responsible for an entire home is more work than a single bedroom!) but I still find a lot of truth in the old saying that "cleanliness is next to godliness."

    Physical clutter (the junk and keepsakes we collect) and mental clutter (stress, anxiety, life lived hectic) translate easily into spiritual clutter. To this day if I set aside a special evening to spend with Jesus I must spend the first 20 minutes making sure the area is clutter free so my mind is free from distraction.

    Good thoughts!

    ReplyDelete